Our pleasure to introduce you to Jonathan “The Beard” Broderick!! Jonathan was a member of the inaugural CrossFit Charlottetown Training Camp and has been steadily and rapidly progressing ever since! He represented CFC on the marathon relay team and rumor has it, he kept up with the big boys in the first leg! Jonathan competed and absolutely crushed his first CrossFit competition in Summerside, accumulating only 3 points across 3 events….yes, he won all 3 events! Jonathan is a tonne of fun in the gym, works hard, laughs even harder, has endurance for days and has added greatly to our community! Give a shout out to Jonathan! Fear the beard!!
- What do you do for a living? I’m a pharmacist in Montague
- How did you get involved in CrossFit and how long have you been CrossFitting? I started CrossFit in mid August 2014 as part of the first training camp, so about 5 months. I had a few friends that do it and basically decided overnight that I would give it a try after talking to Steve Bishop and my neighbor Jordan Brown.
- What are some of your goals in doing CrossFit? My goals are pretty simple… get in better shape and be healthier in general. It may be nice to get involved in more competitions in the future as well, but really being in good shape to ensure that I can remain active and healthy for my entire life is very important to me and CrossFit has done that better for me than anything I’ve tried before.
- Biggest challenges and rewards of coming to the gym? Biggest challenge has been the weightlifting component..I have never really done snatches and cleans before CrossFit and am still learning proper technique, but they improve every day. I think when the challenges stop, things can get stale. The good news is that they never stop here. Rewards, besides being in the best shape of my life, would be the great people I’ve met here. People young and slightly older, and from all walks of life. Very few places combine sweat and laughter like CrossFit Charlottetown.
- Any results you would care to share? As far as results go, I’m glad I can do a few pull-ups in a row now, which before has always stumped me. I also competed in the Island Throwdown in Summerside and finished first in my division(scaled), so that definitely felt good and has served to keep the competitive juices flowing
- Favorite workout or movement? favorite workout is pull-ups, running and anything overhead
- Least favorite workout or movement? least is mountain climbers, and burpees
- Favorite music/song to CF to? as far as music, I tend not to pay much attention. AC/DC or Led zeppelin work well, but as long as its loud and people can’t hear me breath and curse, it’ll do the trick.
- Anything else you would like to add? Only thing to add is that I look forward to continuing to improve and making more friends as people start to join up. There are no egos or pretention in the box. If you show up and put the time in, you will reap the rewards!